You’ve heard about the overnight oats trend? Wait until you try overnight Weet-Bix. If you need a quick breakfast that you make ahead the night before, then this recipe is for you.
Overnight Weet-Bix involves soaking Weet-bix in your choice of milk and then layering fruit and yoghurt on top. You can vary the toppings from season to to season and adjust them to suit your taste. The options are limitless.
If you want to know more about why breakfast is important during menopause and what foods to include, read my blog post Best Breakfast for menopause.
What you’ll need to make overnight Weet-Bix
- Weet-Bix – is an Australian cereal that is equivalent to Weetabix in the US and UK. There are many varieties ranging from regular to multigrain, flavoured, gluten free and even cholesterol lowering.
- Milk – to soak the Weet-bix in. You can use regular cows milk or a plant-based milk. Soy milk is a great alternative for women during menopause as it contains phytoestrogens that may help with symptoms such as hot flushes. When choosing a plant-based milk, ensure you check that it is calcium fortified.
- Something sweet – you can sweeten your overnight Weet-bix if you need. Options include honey, maple syrup, brown sugar or regular sugar.
- Yoghurt – to spread on top of the soaked Weet-bix. Choose whichever yoghurt you prefer (I like coconut or vanilla flavoured). You can also use a non-dairy variety like soy yoghurt.
- Toppings – use whatever you fancy. Ideas include peanut butter and banana, coconut and berries, dried fruit and nuts.
How to make overnight Weet-Bix
Crush 2 Weet-Bix – in a small bowl roughly crush up the Weet-Bix with your hands.
Add 3/4 cup milk of your choice and leave to soak for 10-15 minutes.
Add yoghurt – spread a thin layer of yoghurt over the soaked Weet-Bix
Leave overnight in the fridge
Add toppings just before serving
- Peaches and Cream – add vanilla yoghurt with peaches (fresh or canned)
- Peanut butter and banana – drizzle peanut butter over Weet-Bix once soaked and top with yoghurt and sliced banana
- Choc raspberry – mix 1 tsp cocoa powder into milk before adding to Weet-Bix. Top with yoghurt and raspberries.
- Apple cinnamon – mix 1/4 tsp cinnamon into milk before adding to Weet-Bix. Top with yoghurt and stewed apples.
- Coconut Berry – top with coconut yoghurt and berries and sprinkle with shredded coconut
Other Weet-Bix recipes
More menopause breakfast recipes
For a more savoury breakfast try my smoky baked beans
- 2 Biscuits Weet-Bix
- 3/4 cup Milk Cows milk, plant-based milk
- 2 tsp Honey, maple syrup or sugar
- 1/4 cup Yoghurt Any flavour or plant-based
- Toppings Fruit, nuts, coconut etc
- Crush Weet-bix into a small bowl
- Add milk and leave to soak for 10 minutesIf using sugar as a sweetner, add this to the milk and Weet-Bix now.
- Spread yoghurt on top
- Leave in fridge overnight
- Add something sweet and toppings of your choice
- Peaches and cream (vanilla yoghurt and peaches)
- Berries and coconut (coconut yoghurt, berries and shredded coconut)
- Peanut butter and banana (drizzle peanut butter over yoghurt and add sliced banana)
- Choc raspberry (add 1 tsp cocoa powder to milk before adding to Weet-Bix. Top with yoghurt and raspberries)
- Apple cinnamon (add 1/4 tsp cinnamon to milk before adding to Weet-Bix. Top with vanilla yoghurt and stewed apples)